Gluten-Free Breakfast Pizza Bites
My husband and I have discovered recently that we’re in a bit of a breakfast rut. We keep having the same few things over and over again. Pancakes, oatmeal, scrambled eggs and hash browns or bacon, and cereal. That’s four meals to rotate through every day of the month, which gets pretty old pretty fast. Maybe some people are cool with eating the same thing every day, but I crave variety. I’m sure my mom is laughing, or rolling her eyes, or saying something about my ‘wonderful childhood right now, because variety was NOT what I wanted as a child. I had a few foods that I liked and that was it! Isn’t life ironic sometimes? Anyway, back to the breakfast rut. My husband and I took some time one day and wandered the aisles of the grocery store looking for any inspiration we could find for new and different breakfast ideas.
As we were wandering through the meat department we saw this yummy looking smoked chorizo. As luck would have it they happened to be sampling it that day and it was GOOD! As I pondered what could be done with it my awesome hubby suggested a breakfast pizza. Hmm…why not! I’d never tried breakfast pizza before, but in the interest of going from fearful to fearless and trying new things, I figured it was worth a try.
The thing is, my husband has to leave pretty early for school or work most days, and I’m just not good enough to get up and cook a hot breakfast before he has to go. To be honest, he’s usually getting ready at the last minute, anyway, so what would be most useful would be something he could heat up and take with him. Then it hit, breakfast pizza bites! All of the fun of breakfast pizza, but portable. Turns out they were a hit so I thought I’d share them here with you guys.
As always, get all of your ingredients together before you get started. This saves you the fun of getting halfway through a recipe only to find you are missing something.
Shred the cheese. You’ll want to do this first because you need it for topping the pizza and the cheese sauce.
Chop the meat into small pieces. I found that leaving the smoked chorizo sliced meant that it all came off in one bite and then I had no chorizo left for the rest of that pizza bite. Sadness.
Make the cheese sauce. It’s easier to make it ahead of time and then just give it a quick stir before topping the pizzas. FYI, it will take a bit of time for the sauce to thicken. Be patient. Beat the eggs while the sauce cooks.
Make pizza dough. I found that I needed to add an extra tablespoon or two of liquid to my dough while using this recipe.
Roll out the dough and cut into small circles. I found that a biscuit cutter that was about 2.5 inches across was the perfect size.
Grease a mini muffin pan and sprinkle a little cornmeal in each spot.
Press a dough circle into each space and bake for about five minutes.
While the crusts are baking, scramble the eggs.
Pull the crusts from the oven. Spread a little cheese sauce in each crust, then top with a bit of scrambled eggs, a bit of meat, and then a bit of cheese. I’ve found it works best with these to finish with the cheese.
Put the pizza bites back in the oven for about 8-10 minutes and you’re done!
GF Breakfast Pizza Bites
- GF pizza dough (I used this recipe)
- GF Cheese Sauce (I used this recipe)
- 5 large eggs
- Meat of your choice (I used this chorizo and some ham)
- Shredded cheese
- Coconut oil or cooking spray
- Shred the cheese. About 2-3 cups should be good for the cheese sauce and pizza topping.
- Chop the meat into small pieces.
- Make the cheese sauce.
- Make pizza dough. I found that I needed to add an extra tablespoon or two of liquid to my dough.
- Roll out the dough about 1/8″ thick and cut into small circles.
- Grease a mini muffin pan and sprinkle a little cornmeal in each spot.
- Press a dough circle into each space and bake for about five minutes.
- While the crusts are baking, scramble the eggs. Pull them off the heat when they are slightly underdone since they will be going into the oven.
- Pull the crusts from the oven. Spread a little cheese sauce in each crust, then top.
- Put the pizza bites back in the oven for about 8-10 minutes and you’re done!